Decorating Smaller Spaces
I recently moved from a large home into a much smaller townhome. I love my new space, but decorating has been a bit of a challenge. Below are some tips I found to be helpful.
1. Use mirrors. This is to reflect light and create more depth. It really works. Hang mirrors opposite your windows. Hang groups of mirrors as you would groups of pictures.
2. If you have a studio apartment (meaning just one room), don’t be afraid to paint different areas of the room different colors. Use screens, hanging fabric, even detached hanging windows to break up the space.
3. You probably have extremely limited storage space, so the best thing in the kitchen is to hang everything.
4. And speaking of storage, you want to think double duty. Use a trunk for an end table, putting your winter sweaters inside. Buy furniture, such as ottomans and tables, that have storage space inside. Put up plenty of shelving. Just be sure to arrange what goes on the shelves in a visually pleasing way, interspersing necessities with decorative touches.
5. Go ahead and display your collections. Have antique lunchboxes? Stack them on shelves. It will add color and fun to your space.
6. You must create negative space wherever you can in order to reduce a cluttered, claustrophobic feeling.
7. Use sheer window coverings to let in the light.
8. Most importantly, let your own personal style shine through regardless of how much space you have to work with. Let your space reflect who you are, and visitors won’t even notice the size.